...because there is a little country living in all of us



Thursday, October 13, 2011

Gardeners, Don't Give Up

I am sorry that I have been featuring gardening in all my posts lately.  It's just that in a couple months, all this will be buried under feet of snow and I want to make sure it is completely out of my system before then!


I think the fall garden is the crescendo of all the seasons.  The temptation for many gardeners it to let everything slide after summer blooms fade and the first frost hits, but I think the fall can be the best of all with a little bit of work.


The last two years I have been planting late bloomers to build up fall color in my border.  Flowers, such as mums, asters, Joe Pie weed, sedum, hydrangeas, Ornamental Kale (started from seed in the spring), Viburnum and many different ornamental grasses come to peak now.  The cold nights even bring out brighter colors in some of them.




It is very important to continue watering, even though it seems unnecessary, many flowers can die off during dry times in fall.  Now is the time to move anything around in your borders or plant anything new you want to try.  Keep up the weeding as well!  Pull 'em before they set their seeds.  And don't forget about putting in more spring bulbs!  I have put in bulbs during a wet, cold sleet before, but it was all worth it the following spring!  So it isn't too late to go pick some up.



A zinnia that survived the first frost. 


Hardy hibiscus comes in all sizes and colors.  And so easy to care for, so try it in your garden. 



Hydrangea blooms, my favorite.


I love this Autumn Charm Sedum.  It adds so much color to the fall border.



A Carefree Sunshine Yellow Rose still blooms into fall!


Joe Pie Weed takes over in the back of the border when others start to fade.


You can always get late bursts of color with dwarf asters.


A pink hardy mum just about to open...


Continue to cut down all spent flowers so all the bloomers stand out!


I am sorry if I am boring you with garden shots, don't worry after the snow flies, I will have six long winter months to show you all my decorating projects.  Stay tuned for pictures of my indoor fall decor, our master bedroom and my linen collection.  I promise you will not be disappointed!


Thank-you very much for continuing to check in.  I am having so much fun, and I appreciate each one of you who follow and leave encouraging comments.  On a long, busy day it is such a treat to read them.  A big thank-you goes out to you!


And on a final note, I want to officially welcome all of you to an Antique Barn Sale at my house on October 29.  Stay tuned for details and pictures.


Happy last minute gardening!


 
 Maria ~Rusty Hinge

6 comments:

  1. Maria! Stunning! Yes.. I have to admit I fall into the neglectful fall gardener camp. But sheesh.. looking at your pictures make me regret that so much!!

    So glad you love the soap pump :)

    xo.Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria-

    Love the vibrant zinnias!!! Keep the pics coming, the more the merrier;)

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria,

    Oh, I love your garden! I'm going to need ALL the help I can get when it comes to planting anything, so I don't tire of your garden posts. :) We lived in a townhome right smack in the city for YEARS {no yard at all}, until we recently moved into our first {fixer} home. And plants/flowers of any types are pretty much nonexistent, so I have to start from scratch. I'm kind of reluctant because for the life of me, I can't even get a houseplant to stay alive...wish me luck! I've been reading up on gardening, but still haven't taken the plunge at doing anything myself. So any advice of yours is oh so helpful! :) Ok, I've rambled enough about gardening, so I shall digress. lol Have a great weekend!


    XO's,
    Jessie

    P.S. I am hosting my first giveaway on my blog, feel free to join in if you are interested. :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how pretty! I could look at flowers over and over. I hate to see the growing season come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the yellow rose! You are a great photographer.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love flowers specially when they had different colors and type. Having this flowers on my garden would be perfect and wonderful. I will be glad taking care of them.:D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you and appreciate all of your comments. It's a treat to read each one!
Love,
Maria